how do you support the hospitality industry?
👉 Main sponsor at the Gourmet Festival
METRO gives restaurateurs a platform to boost visibility and exchange. For example, METRO is the main sponsor of the Gourmet Festival Düsseldorf and holds discussion events to raise political awareness about the needs of the hospitality industry.
👉 From the hospitality industry for the industry – gastrofamily initiative
The hospitality industry is as diverse as METRO itself. The unifying element: the passion for the day-to-day activities. As a founding partner of the gastrofamily initiative, METRO is committed to promoting young talent in the hospitality industry. The initiative’s website features job fairs, industry news and career path information about the hospitality industry.
👉 Guide for sustainable restaurants
Beyond fulfilling their business needs, METRO also supports restaurateurs in their sustainable actions. My Sustainable Restaurant provides customers with assistance on how to make their business more sustainable. To this end, METRO has developed a guide that explains the most important sustainability topics to HoReCa customers. These topics include relevant information for restaurateurs such as responsible sourcing, food waste prevention and sustainable menus. The guide offers tips and solutions that customers can implement directly in their own businesses. After all, sustainable hospitality means being successful in the long term.
👉Digital Tools by METRO
The last few years have shown how much potential digitalisation still holds in the hospitality industry. That explains why METRO develops digital solutions such as DISH by METRO, which offer customers support from website design to reservation and ordering systems.
👉 Together we achieve more – this mantra also applies to the hospitality industry
For a strong future: In a joint effort with various industry associations, METRO is campaigning for fair taxation of food and beverages. The goal is to reduce VAT to 7%. While these efforts clearly benefit consumers, they also promote stability within the hospitality industry.
METRO commitment: Facts and figures
- METRO is involved in more than 50 associations from the hospitality industry, including HOTREC at EU level and DEHOGA Bundesverband and Landesverbände for national activities.
- 11% food waste reduced by METRO in its own operations in financial year 2020/2021 compared to financial year 2017/2018.
- Over €2 million was invested by METRO in industry association memberships in 2021.
👉 More about METRO’s political commitment: politik.metroag.eu
Hospitality industry sector: Facts and figures
- Around 7.9 million people worked in the hospitality sector in EU countries in 2021. Most of them worked in Spain (1.5 million), followed by Germany and Italy (1.2 million). Therefore, the hospitality industry is a major segment of the European labour market. (Source: destatis.de)
- More than a third (34%) of the respondents do not see any long-term prospects for themselves in the hospitality industry, while 27% said ‘I don’t know’. Among many aspects, staff shortage was listed by almost 81%, while about 60% complained about time constraints and stress. The study indicates a strong sense of urgency regarding these issues (study by wmp consult).
- With 4.1 million employees and a gross value creation of about 355 billion euros, the tourism, hospitality and food service industry are ranked amongst the strongest economic sectors in Germany (study by Fraunhofer IAO 2022)
- With 57 out of 100 possible points in the area of digitalisation, the hospitality industry remained at the same level in 2021/22 as in the previous year. 70% want to gradually expand their offering with digital products and business models (Telekom study: Digitalisation Index for SMEs 2021/2022).
- 9 out of 10 participants already use digital applications in their business. Most respondents use their own website (76.9%), while 66% work with a digital cash register system. Other applications, such as voucher systems (26.9%) and online table reservations (22.7%), are clearly lagging behind (DEHOGA study)
- 71% of guests are definitely to very interested in digital solutions in the hospitality industry. For example, 68% expect to be able to see the menu in advance, and 56% would like to be able to reserve their table online in advance (Gewinnblick and YouGov 2022 studies).